St. Mark's Basilica
St. Mark's Basilica Historical Timeline
History
The Basilica di San Marco has gone through many changes in its 1200-year history. It was initially constructed as a temporary building in 828 for housing holy relics of Saint Mark the Evangelist, believed to have authored Mark's Gospel. These were transported from their discovered location in Alexandria, Egypt, in 829. A permanent church was erected and consecrated in 832—this was rebuilt after being damaged by fire in 976 due to a revolt against the then Doge (leader) of Venice, Candiano IV. A second rebuilding of the church commenced in 1063, but it was not until 1094 that the church was consecrated. Since then, the core structure of the basilica has remained unchanged.